Cuban sandwiches are a beloved dish that originated in Florida in the 1800s. They are made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard, and sometimes salami, all sandwiched between crispy Cuban bread. The sandwich has gained popularity over the years and is now a staple in many Cuban restaurants in the US and worldwide!
If you're looking for the ultimate Cuban sandwich recipe, you've come to the right place. What can wrong with slices of ham, roasted pork, smash between cheese and bread. Plus it is grilled! In this article, we will share with you a recipe that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Our recipe is not only delicious, but it's also easy to make, and it has all the classic flavors that you would expect from a Cuban sandwich.
Without further words, let's check out how to create easy and simple yet delicious Cuban Sandwich in the style of Salaryman Cooking.
For course down below we will recommend you some of the trendy and good Cuban Sandwich location in Thailand and Singapore. For of course we have a list of top 10 sandwiches you must cook and/or try to eat.
How to Cook Cuban Sandwich
We will start with the ingredients needed to make and cook your Cuban Sandwich at home. We are not going to change the recipe as much. Because the sandwich is already delicious by itself without much alternating.
- 1 loaf of Cuban Bread (French Bread) or (Panini Bread)
- 1/2 pound of ham sliced
- 1/2 pound of sliced roasted pork
- 8 slices of Swiss Cheese
- 8 slices of dill pickles
- Yellow Mustard
- Optional: 2 Jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Cut the load of bread in half lengthwise. Vertical breads: like in Subway
- Spread yellow mustard on both sides of the bread
- First layer is ham, top by roasted pork, Swiss Cheese, and pickles
- Optional: Jalapenos
- Spread butter on both sides of the bread
- Wrap the sandwich in foil
- Put it in the oven and bake between 20-25 minutes
- Eat it hot and when the cheese is melting
- No Oven: Do not worry
As pointed out, need not to worry if not have an oven in your apartment room. As you are living the apartment. What we recommend is to get a flat pan. Put some butter. Pre-heat the pan to be hot. Put in your sandwich that you made. Fry some bacon and use the bacon oil to grill the sandwich. Then place a plate above the pan. Wait for 5 minutes, and flip the sandwich.
Once both sides are golden brown, take it the sandwich out for the pan and let it rest for a quick 3 minutes. A bit more work and time. But at the end of the day it is worth the extra effort. A Cuban Sandwich is simple and easy to cook. With the roasted pork of course that can take time. Substitute the roasted pork with slice salami. As original Cuban Sandwich is made with only four ingredients. Swiss cheese, hams, pickles and of course butter on top of the sandwich to have that flavor.
The ultimate Cuban sandwich is best served hot and fresh out of the oven. You can serve it with plantain chips or French fries and a cold drink or cold coffee of your choice. For a healthier combination. Try our classic Strawberry Banana classic smoothies.
Best 2 Spots in Thailand and Singapore
You do not want to cook but want to eat it right away. Do not worry we have you cover. Especially in Thailand and Singapore we found the top 2 restaurants or cafe each to have a really tasty and delicious sandwich.
Cuban Sandwich in Thailand
If you are in Thailand and you have landed in Bangkok City we have the two spots to eat Cuban Sandwich in Sukhumvit Road.
- Bartels: They have two location in Bangkok and in Phuket. They are know to have fresh bread bake everyday. They are a sandwich shop that serve you classic tuna melt sandwich to the Cuban Sandwich. One truth we actually use their idea to add jalapeños in our cooking recipe. It adds the extra spice taste that we like an enjoy. Additionally their coffee is great too.
- Havana Social: Yes just by the name you would know it will be amazing. Havana social is actually a night spot where you go to drinks and listen to Cuban music and dance away. But just right outside they sell Cuban sandwich till 2am late at night. It is delicious and cheesy. No other words to describe their sandwich and recipe.
Singapore Top Location of Cuban Sandwich
Well now we have landed in Singapore. The city known as a food melting spot. A city where food is very important. We have two great locations of you to try the sandwich in the city-state of Singapore. One of our recommended spot is even listed on Vogue.
- Sarnies: Hipster vibes are strong with wooden slat tables, whitewashed walls, and hanging lightbulbs that'll have you feeling like you're in Sydney or Melbourne. Sarnies' passion for quality shines through with free-range chicken, grass-fed beef, and home-cured bacon featuring in their menu. You'll be blown away by their twists on old classics, like their ham and cheese toast with mortadella on a baguette with smoked ham and red cheddar.
- Cuba Libre Café and Bar: Once you are in Singapore, you have to visit Clarke Quay. A trendy place nearby the river surrounding by high-rise buildings. Clarke Quay have lots of restaurants, bars, and cafes. The district comes a life at night. For a cuban sandwich do not miss it at Cuba Libre Cafe and Bar. They make it classic and original.
Cuban Sandwich Fun Facts
Get ready for some fun and interesting facts on the sandwich. Some are quite interesting and might surprise you.
- In 2012, the city of Tampa held a "Cuban Sandwich Festival" with the goal of making the world's largest Cuban sandwich. They succeeded, creating a sandwich that measured 128 feet and weighed over 5,000 pounds.
- Controversy over whether the Cuban sandwich should be pressed or not. Some purists believe that pressing the sandwich alters its flavor and texture, while others argue that pressing is necessary for a truly authentic Cuban sandwich experience. (We like it pressed, it brings out the flavors.) Tell us in the comments below of your thoughts on this fact.
- In 2017, the Cuban sandwich became the official sandwich of Tampa. Source
- The Cuban sandwich, also known as the Cubano, originated in Cuba and was brought to Florida by Cuban immigrants in the late 1800s.
There you have it, the ultimate yet simple and quick Cuban sandwich recipe. It's easy to make, and it's packed with all the classic flavors that you would expect from a Cuban sandwich. Whether you're looking for a quick lunch or a satisfying dinner, this sandwich is sure to hit the spot. By following our recipe and tips, you can impress your friends and family with your cooking skills. So, give it a try, and let us know what you think! So why not give it a try and make a Cuban sandwich today? And send us some photos too.
A Cuban sandwich is considered Cuban because it originated in Cuba and features ingredients commonly found in Cuban cuisine.
There is no difference between a Cuban sandwich and a Cubano sandwich - they are the same thing.